Óbidos, the magnificent walled town, where it seems time didn’t pass. To walk abroad Óbidos streets is to lose yourself in the alleys of history and live the fantastic ambience of a medieval village that arrives to the third millennium almost intact.
The beautiful castle dominates the all town, the white houses among thousands of flower scents, the beautiful churches and the rich mansions and squares.
The municipality is spread out in about 140 km² of area, divided in nine parishes, where about 11.200 inhabitants live.
The orchards and the vine are very important for local economy, but tourism industry is the sector more in evidence.
The town was founded by Celts in 308 A.C., being later conquered by Romans, who left important vestiges here. It was also occupied by Visigoths, and after by Moors, until being conquered by D. Afonso Henriques, first King of Portugal, in 1148.
Once King D. Afonso II donates Óbidos to D.Urraca, the town becomes property of Casa das Rainhas de Portugal (House of the Queens of Portugal), until the extinction of this institution, in 1834.